Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Small Business Lesson: Content Marketing and Writer’s Block - Repost

Essentially, small business content writers write articles that formerly might have appeared in newspapers or magazines and thus consider themselves journalists. Content writers do more though.  They contribute articles to e-zines, corporate blogs, and other such places on the web.  When a business website has visibility and an increased viewership and following, the content writer is key to that success.

Many small business owners write their own content. First because they like to write or second, they can avoid paying a professional content writer in order to save money.  In either case, every writer encounters writers block at some time or other.  I know, because with few exceptions, I write a blog for my company’s web site five days every week and most days the words just flow out of my keyboard and onto my screen with ease.  Sometimes however, I only see a blank page and struggle to get started.

Here are some suggestions for overcoming writer’s block that have worked for me.
• What are customers, potential customers, vendors and other commenters asking you?  I have mentioned previously that my partner and I mentor small businesses.  We were contacted by a potential client who was inquiring about how to set up her company as a minority, woman-owned enterprise.  This became a series of several blogs.  Another time an entrepreneur wanted to “hire” consultants to sell his product.  After asking a few fundamental questions, I realized he did not know the difference between and employee and a consultant, nor did he understand the danger to his company from choosing one over the other.  This became another piece.
• I look to the news.  Are there hard times coming for marine parks that display marine mammals? Has the leadership changed? Are there plans to develop public relations campaigns to counteract negative publicity?  I have written several pieces on SeaWorld and used their announcements of the changes in leadership to challenge readers to ponder “what would they do if they were the new CEO?”
• Your style is perhaps the most valuable thing you have.  When I am struggling for a topic, I tap into my memory and pepper my blogs with real-life anecdotes to illustrate pieces I am writing.  Recently, I wrote about stress relief and shared that one thing that has always worked for me was that I would take a five-minute break in the afternoon to “stretch my eyes”.  I would leave my desk, step outside and look to the mountains and jets queuing up to land at SFO before returning to my desk relaxed and refreshed.  A passing researcher stopped one day and asked if I was “OK?”  I explained my “eye stretching” exercise and he walked away only to turn around and ask again if I were OK.  I assured him I was.  A few weeks later he had a heart attack.  He was in his early forties.

Ketut Gede Turangga

Guide & Editor

Call us for more information and reservation via email ketutgedeturangga@gmail.com or by phone (+62)85 738 685 000. We thank you for your visiting. Sorry if there any mistakes I've been made in this web site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment